Ridiculous definitions

I have this habit of reading news papers from the back page. This has been so right from childhood days. Maybe, this has been so as I had always felt that sports pages were to be read first. The habit has stayed with me all through the years, and I guess it will be so ever after too. If I pursued this habit during childhood, it was because I was more interested in sports than the usual political stuff.

And today, it is so because I think reading sports is better than going through the torture of reading about Atal Behari’s recital of own poetry at international fora. My habit of reading the last page first continues to be so even when I read magazines. Now, if somebody thinks I do so because of the pictures of skimpily-clad women that adorn the last page, I care a damn!

This habit of reading the last page first came in for a shock today morning as I got hold of Simply South, the much-hyped south special that the esteemed India Today group gave us free with their regular copy. The last page had an item titled Simply (south) Fundas or something like that. The media group might not pay heed to what I note down here saying that it provides for light reading after so much heavy stuff on its pages. But, personally, I take it as an insult to southies. For those who haven’t yet read that idiotic stuff, one of the fundas listed says: You know you are a South Indian, when you think Vande Mataram was written and music composed by A R Rehman.

Another goes thus: You know you are a South Indian when you think the best cutlery available are your fingers. Here's another: You know you are a South Indian when you think Vaastu determines where you sit, stand, sleep, wash or cook.

There are lots.

Does the magazine think the South Indians are meant to be ridiculed? There may be tonnes of loyal readers in the south and north who would applaud the magazine’s “funny last page”. But not me. Would you, my friend from the south?I find it tough to comprehend why ‘Simply South’, which has some south-born editors (the names of editors at the copy desk listed on the opening page prove this beyond doubt) has gone to the extend of making fun of people. Dear friends at the desk, let me tell you for your information, we in the south know very well what Vande Mataram is all about.

If at all you guys at the Simply South desk think you know better, you are thoroughly mistaken. For, we South Indians know more than just “talking to the President in his own language”. Just one request to you dear editors, please don’t pose yourselves as undisputed kings of journalism. And, when you talk or write something, please ensure that it makes sense.

Sense matters a lot. You listening?

Comments

Jagan said…
ur very right sanjeev.. the stereotypes regarding south has to be broken.. the age of lungi, madrasi accent, snake charmers is way behind us.. but unfortunately aroon purie n his motley group is ignorant bout tht..

Popular posts from this blog

And Then, The Cashew Tree Shed a Dozen Leaves

2020: Virus Woes and Much More