Dear Manmohan Singhji,

Permit me to introduce myself at the outset. Nameless I used to be at the time of my birth, but once I got into my teens, I heard from the rags that I was christened Shera and elevated to a position any Bengal Tiger of my ilk would covet being in. So now I, Shera, am the official mascot of the Common Wealth Games and I am told the kids in India already have my pictures as wallpaper for their PCs. Let me express my gratitude for according me such an envious position.

However, respected Pradhanmantriji, the manner in which I’m being treated of late brings to me suicidal tendencies. I’m averse to killing myself, and try not to end it all as I would be deemed a criminal by my fellow Sherus. For, as you know I hail from a family that has been bracketed as Endangered. Your government knows very well we are just a few in number, and that makes us a minority. Sad still, we do not also have the right to claim our minority rights as minorities are a akin to just doormats this humongous diversity that we call India. But, respected PMji, I fail to comprehend why me and my brothers and sisters are being accorded the children-of-a lesser-god status?

Let me bring to your kind attention a few instances of doormat treatment handed over to us over the years. If you would remember, our name was till recently part of an organization that created terror in a neighboring island. We know, we were hurt, when the whole of India except for a small minority in a southern state, hated us to the core. The abuse and curse showered upon me and my pack had been so wounding that we resorted to lie low all through unable to speak up for our rights. Why is that anything negative need be attributed to the Tiger brand?

Our name has also been, it still is, used to define the fake strength and made-up charisma of a parochial mischief-mongering old man in the western state which houses India’s commercial and filmy conglomerates. What crime did we do to be associated with an aging cartoonist-politico who time and again makes India weep? Tiger he is called by his men and women, but I wonder if they do realize that Tiger spells patriotism. The freedom fighters and the government post-Independence knew that very well, or they wouldn’t have chosen one of my ancestors as the national animal.

Even as you, and the prime ministers who ruled over us before you, were voted to power, we were being hunted down for our skin. If you would ask any of your aides to tell you the statistics, it would read thus: The total number of Royal Bengal Tigers used to be 40,000 in 1900. But as time passed by the numbers came down. It is a recorded fact that by 1972, our number has dwindled to 1,800. Our foes had been coming in the form of additions to the human population, indiscriminate industries, hunting for oriental medicine and exotic skin traders. In this context, let me also add that thanks to late PM Indiraji’s efforts at launching Project Tiger, we were able to push up our number to 4200 by the 1990s. However, habitat loss and highly efficient poaching systems have again made us crave for life. The number has plummeted to below 3,500. I just hope you understand our plight.

I also happened to read in the paper strips - that were littered around our dwelling places by the people you call tourists - that the Indian government had in 2008 announced plans to spend more than $13 million so as to protect the country's endangered tigers. This amount was in addition to $153 million program announced earlier to create new tiger reserves. Pradhanmantriji, I suggest you should at least try and find out where the money has been going to.

Oh yes, that brings me to the point where I wanted to write this letter to you. As I had mentioned, I am thankful to your administration for having picked me as the CWG mascot. But see the mess I am in now. People have started smearing tar and dung over my posters as in protest against some dude called Kalmadi. I’m being told that this Kalmadi gentleman and his gentle team had been swallowing all funds and resources that had been sanctioned for the sporting extravaganza for which I am the mascot. Why this cruelty to me Sir ji?

Please tell me why Shera has to suffer this. I’m a minority, I know. May be I don’t have the numbers to put together a protest club. I don’t have the resources or even a dwelling place. Roti, kapda, makan and all are just dream for me and my ilk. I don’t mind it if you and your ever-increasing population have secured all the rights to the so-called continental cheesed rotis and the designer kapdas. That doesn’t mean you and your people should be treating us like cow dung on Rajpath. Like CWG to the wanton Kalmadis, you are killing us for your sport. Hope you realize this at least now.

I have all respect for you, respected Manmohanji. The whole point of scribbling this note to you comes based on the assumption that you are a just and considerate PM. Let bygones be bygones, I just have one request to make. In all sportsman spirit, let me request you to just permit me to step down as the CWG mascot. My heart bleeds when people equate me with Kalmadi. For the sake of the almighty, please let me walk out of dil-less Dilli and its leaking stadia. Please let me go back to the little bush yonder, which is all that is left for me to dwell. I sincerely wish you would let me go, once and for ever.

Thanking you

Your most obedient citizen. Jai Hind!

Shera
12.Aug.2010

Comments

Reba said…
is it just me or does it seem like poor Shera also looks kind of a sorry figure for being a mascot of games that are meant to be about reaching higher and pushing the limits etc. What happened to all well done mascots of the past? And who is designing these sorry figures now?
Anonymous said…
[p]This may turn out a strong [url=http://www.swedenuggs.com]ugg sweden[/url] counterfeit couple with out that the actual everyone, which will costs more . These are just the sorts of dresses [url=http://www.swedenuggs.com]ugg boots[/url] that bridesmaids can wear on multiple occasions after the wedding . For girls who choose comfort more than fashion - but even now desires to stay in style - Tamara Mellon has established a solution: the trio button UGG Boots Bailey

UGG [url=http://www.swedenuggs.com]real uggs[/url] Boots Australia is also extremely fashionable, that is mostly a real benefit in buying a comfy boot . They are cheap, but sometimes fake, it takes time to indentify the real and fake yourself . The Ugg Boot or just Uggs is a generic term for a style of sheepskin boot which [url=http://www.swedenuggs.com]ugg rea[/url] has been produced in Australia and New Zealand for almost 200 years . Trademark controversy of ugg boots

Each mark [url=http://www.swedenuggs.com]uggs australia[/url] has its own trademark . These four-legged supermodels - cows, goats, pigs, sheep, the particular occasional llama - are usually worked for along with clippers, blow-dryers, oils, pastes and also powders.[/p]
Anonymous said…
[p]The cross part of this ring is flat with sharp edges . More and more youngsters have become the frenetic pursuers of Tiffany . 00, these bar stools add an element of warmth to any Tiffany & Co space while the natural curves of the wood offer exceptional comfort . This specific sort of elegance bracelets really trendy and often inside the pattern as section of its allure could be the truth that you're capable to combine, and also elevation of these styles as well as
it genuinely is stated being the perfect treat that they are able to discuss with a large amount of women and even genuine particular young lady within your life . Now, Tiffany & Co has said they will open a multi-story megastore that is scheduled to open in 2014 . Even in resource-rich Alaska, the Pebble Mine, as the project is known, has become a lighting rod, pitting developers against local and far-off environmentalists . His or her special design [url=http://www.distiffanyforsale.com]tiffany outlet store[/url] and style and realistic price will let you can not help but in order to as it . much more generally you can uncover this jewellery in an extremely sterling silver store also it is merely a create a difference of acquiring the store which you are protected to offer with.[/p][p]Think about how your readers are probably going to read the final eBook (most print PDF eBooks ?the idea of the paperless world is myth!) . almost certainly essentially the most [url=http://www.distiffanyforsale.com]tiffany heart necklace[/url] anticipated how the varieties Pandora Charms Cheap are developed from silver bags, creatures, pearls, Murano glass, multicolor and 4 refreshing techniques of silver Pandora charms . ? received the authorization from Stephenie Meyer, to manufacture the official authorized replica of Bella隆炉s Engagement Ring? to be made available to the public . Often, your feelings down the following tier are usually nothing at all [url=http://www.distiffanyforsale.com]tiffany outlet online[/url] in excess of aspirations due to price associated with acquiring an authentic Tiffany object . There are shows to acquire [url=http://www.distiffanyforsale.com]tiffany online[/url] the glimpse of the fashionista adorned in good artist jewelries without Pandora Silver Beads owning having to commit a lot . The Pandora elegance bracelets are often perfect presents to grant aside mainly because the versions often be versatile adequate to produce the whole globe happy . Bones - make particular you go for just about any group who carries a no-kill insurance coverage and only utilizes legally-obtained [url=http://www.distiffanyforsale.com]tiffany jewelry outlet[/url] bones . It隆炉s worth it to end up with a credible eBook.[/p]

Popular posts from this blog

And Then, The Cashew Tree Shed a Dozen Leaves