Sunset, yet again

As the sun that did indeed shine bright over Year 2007 gets set for the final dip, I guess it’s time for some rewind on what really went on around me all these days. Just stating that year 2007 was good or bad, would be like belittling the great, not-so-great, and despicable events that happened around me and within me.

Personally, 2007 was a year that did great things to my inner self. To be truthful, Year 2007 brought me back to some meaningful reading. Great writers, masters in the English and Malayalam literary worlds opened up in front of me, though not as they used to once upon a time. But considering the fact that I could read again has given me contentment of a different kind. I also went back to Tehelka and have made up my mind to go for a long term subscription.

This year, after a long gap, also brought real music to my ears. I got more of Mohanam, Thodi, Devagandhari, Yadukula Khamboji and Yamuna Kalyani all through the year. I got the chance to return to Brahmanandan and Pattanakkad Purushottaman this year. Gosh, what a feeling!

Books, music and my little daughter’s effortless ease trying to sing along with whatever is music have made the past 360 days seem good for me. These apart, wifey dear and the good friends I made this year come as the best bonus. Thanks one and all, for making me a more confident human being. Believe it or not, Year 2007 saw me fight less, mellow down more.

Mellowing down doesn’t mean that I should not list down what all I hated this year. But then, the hate list, compared to last year, may look shorter. May be the world has turned a better place, or is it that I learnt that hating people or events doesn’t make any sense in real life? Whatever that could be, here’s a list of events and people I hated this year.

* Sonia Gandhi, for mouthing the ‘Maut ka Saudagar’ coinage which helped Narendra Modi bag Gujarat yet again so effortlessly.

* Narendra Modi, for getting the Mahatma’s name all wrong as he kept repeating at poll campaigns the name of one ‘Mohanlal’ Karamchand Gandhi. Hey Ram!

*Ram Gopal Verma for not doing what he is really capable of, rather than doing what he thinks he can do. Living in a Fool’s Paradise makes him a man to be hated.

*Farah Khan, for making SRK look like a starved Ethiopian kid for her so called opus called OSO. Six pack yuck!

*Cine goers across India for letting Sanjay Leela Bhansali make films even after watching his oh-no for heaven’s sake Devdas.

*Union Minister Dr Anbumani Ramadoss for calling an Indian from Bihar a Bihari.

*Kerala’s so called prominent television channels for telecasting live the death of the state’s most respected person and then doing re-runs of the same.

*The current-day Indian National Congress leadership for letting old fox K Karunakaran declare that he is a Congressman again. Someone wake up fast!

*The Marxist Buddha, for all that happened in Nandigram.

*The television channels, national news providers, for going overboard and celebrating events such as the Delhi school shoot out, the stripping of the Dalit woman and similar tearjerkers. The hatred comes not because they made more TRP out of such events, but due to the fact that they totally forgot the humane angle in such developments.

*The ISRO, for stooping to levels unseen in a bid to stay put in Kerala with its IIST. With such an insult handed over by the state government, wonder why the space agency doesn’t look at neighbouring Tamil Nadu for some quality space for the IIST.

Comments

Latheesh Mohan said…
Personally speaking, year 2007 is not going to be forgotten that easily. It was such a horrible year for me. If I go listing down the tragedies I had this year, god, that would be the longest list I have prepared ever. As I am so tired living in 2007, I don’t really care what other ppl did or didn’t.

Love your language.
Latheesh Mohan said…
Then, happy to know you had a great year..Wish you a nice newyear..keep rockin..
This comment has been removed by the author.
nice bit here. but the six pack yuk seem to be a kind of green understatement, so does the ethiopian kid one. may be i should use these to teach 'hyperbole' in class, lol. well, i am no fan of SRK, but, nice to see how this six pack thing gets into the homoerotic imagination of a dying year, 2oo7. ciao. :-)
nice blog there, quite committed socially, nah? its nice to see the way people react to life in this virtual web logs. good work there too. so eventually modi has become a mohanlal fan too? lol
Sanjeev said…
@Babitha: Thanx for the nice words. Good to see someone who feels good reading me. Ran thru your poetry pages, felt great about your lines. Im gonna come back for more on marinasravings.

@Latheesh: Dude, tragedies are tragedies when u call them tragedies. Have a tragedy free year ahead.
Unknown said…
In solitude there's solidarity and this sums up your year-end scribbles thru which u express freely when our way of life, to a point, is a mask designed to conceal our intimate feelings. Mostly due to the social mechanism. Nice post yaar, a positve appraoch can create wonders. A great way to ring in the new year. I bet good books and music can uplift anyone, and Im glad u cud go back to them, envy u coz I couldn't. Despite that 2007 has been terrific for me, I got back something I thought was lost and got a new lease of life from start but with increasin grey hairs. You hate anything that disturbs you and let's hope to purge time of hate-list-like events. Happy 2008!
Anything new? Waiting to read
:O Egads!
Modi actually said MOHANLAL??? What a buffoon!
I agree, RG Varma has SO much potential. Almost everyone I meet hated 'Kaun' but for me, it remains one of the best Hindi movies I've seen post 90's

Sometimes I have to wonder... is it the media that is making utter fools of us, or is it we who are forcing the media to give us ewhat we want - sensational snippets of utter trash

Popular posts from this blog

And Then, The Cashew Tree Shed a Dozen Leaves